At Brown, many departments with subject matter expertise are responsible for compliance with applicable laws, regulations and policies. University Compliance provides oversight to help Brown improve consistency, quality and efficiencies across the University; and ensure appropriate compliance programs and frameworks are in place. University Compliance uses the federal elements of an effective compliance and ethics program as its guiding framework, while ensuring the University’s perspective is always present.
University Compliance's services support senior management, staff, faculty and students to identify and manage compliance risks, and include:
- Serve as a resource to identify compliance requirements and best practices;
- Assess specialized compliance programs;
- Bring stakeholders together to address compliance topics;
- Advise on University policies and manage the Comprehensive Policy Review Project;
- Provide education and training on compliance and ethics-related topics;
- Lead and/or coordinate advisory engagements requested by senior leadership; and
- Report periodically to senior leadership and the Corporation Committee on Risk and Audit on progress towards University compliance goals.