At Brown, departments with the appropriate subject matter expertise are responsible for compliance with applicable laws, regulations and policies. University Compliance then serves to provide oversight to improve consistency, quality and efficiencies across the University, and to help ensure appropriate compliance programs and frameworks are in place. We use the federal elements of an effective compliance and ethics program as a guiding framework.
University Compliance's services support the Brown community in identifying and managing compliance risks. Our work includes:
- Serving as a resource to identify compliance requirements and best practices;
- Assessing specialized compliance programs;
- Bringing stakeholders together to address compliance topics;
- Advising on University policies and managing the Comprehensive Policy Review Project;
- Advising on or leading compliance and ethics-related education;
- Leading and/or coordinating advisory engagements requested by senior leadership; and
- Reporting periodically to senior leadership and the Corporation Committee on Risk and Audit on progress towards University compliance goals.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to University Compliance to arrange a brief presentation on our services. Our team would be happy to meet with you, share our work, and learn more about how we can partner with your department.